Micro-needling

July 14, 2018




Hey! I know you might be thinking "What's that and why are you doing that?". Micro-Needling is a skin procedure where your skin is tricked into thinking it is injured. The injuries are created by a derma-pen puncturing the skin numerous times. So, when the skin thinks it is injured it reacts with a self-healing process in which it increases the production of collagen.

The increase in collagen rejuvenates the skin. It also reduces the appearance of acne scarring, hyperpigmentation, wrinkles and improves the texture of the skin. I suffer from hyperpigmentation, and fortunately, I was able to reduce the pigmentation of dark spots and some blemishes with the current skincare routine. However, I still had dark spots that just wouldn't go away.  After being informed of Micro-needling and doing research of my own, I decided that it would be the best solution for me. I went to Amanda Steyn for my procedure, the experience and service were superb. She explained the process to me again and reassured me that it would not be too painful.  Amanda doesn’t just offer the ordinary micro-needling, she also offers wet-needling which I opted for. The procedure is the same, with the exception of applying a hyaluronic acid serum and then the sealing gel. 

The procedure needs to be performed on clean skin. So I had to wash my face before the numbing cream was applied. I then waited about 20 minutes before the micro-needling began. The procedure is almost painless. Keep in mind I said, “almost painless” so there were areas that were more sensitive, which were my forehead and the bridge of my nose. The needling part of the procedure goes by quickly, it’s about 15 minutes long. I didn’t bleed throughout the needling procedure; however, I did experience some redness afterwards, that lasted for about half an hour.

The results have been amazing! I've literally been glowing from within! I've honestly been amazed at the glow, it looked like I have eaten the sun, lol! Also, the texture of my skin is amazing it has never felt softer and smoother. The pigmentation of my dark spots has also decreased considerably. However, the 1st day after micro-needling my skin felt a little bit like sandpaper, especially on my forehead but Amanda did explain that the dead skin from the epidermis (outer layer of the skin) coming off.  I was instructed to only wash my face with warm water and moisturize with sunscreen with the first 24hrs post the procedure, thereafter I could return to my normal skincare routine. I have felt the difference when I began to use my 'normal' products again, the products were penetrating deeper. 

Furthermore, I'll be doing 4 sessions to rid off my hyperpigmentation, so there will definitely be another giving more details about the progress made from the 1st session.




Photography: Star Zwane 
Creative Direction: Sakhile Tembe 



You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. hello, would you pls leave an email, so that we can contact you with some idears? my email:jennifer@africanmall.com
    thanks

    ReplyDelete